Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving

Normally we would head to Twin Falls for Thanksgiving, but not this year.  My parents were having their kitchen floors replaced and Lucy (their Boxer) has been recovering from being sick and needs a low stress environment. So, Kevin, Leo and I had our first Thanksgiving with just us. After breakfast we went for a great walk, everyone had fun and Leo got to practice his barking. One of the dogs that lives near the park was being quite vocal and Leo decided to bark back. Very cute. We also did a little leash training.

Pixie wasn't convinced this was a good idea at first, but she soon realized that she was in control and then was much more confident.
Kevin was very excited to cook a Cornish hen, I was having tilapia. We had the usual stuffing, mashed potatoes, fresh cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, broccoli - instead of green beans which Leo is not fond of.
Turns out Leo is not a fan of most traditional Thanksgiving food. I had him for a few minutes when I rolled up some mashed potatoes into balls and showed him how-to dip them in ketchup, that lasted for three "balls." Then he wailed and pitched one, smashed a second, and it was over. Lots of squished-up frowning face and "No!"  No to sweet potatoes. No to hen. No to fish. NO! to stuffing. Only yes was broccoli and yogurt. And a hallelujah from Mommy and Daddy when dinner was done. Whew, until next year.
And of course what would Thanksgiving be without a pumpkin pie? So for my food allergic husband (lactose and gluten) I made a vegan and gluten free pie. These types of baking adventures do not turn out well for me so I was more than skeptical, but this pie was delicious. Seriously. I mean I don't know that it would win a side-by-side taste test, but if you didn't know you'd say "this is one tasty pie!"

No comments:

Post a Comment