Monday, August 31, 2009

Did I Mention Canning???

Oh my, what do you get when you blanch, core, and peel 35lbs of tomatoes and mix them with garlic, red wine, olive oil, onion, and fresh herbs (basil, oregano, rosemary, & thyme)?

You get 7 quarts of sauce.... that's right 7 quarts people. Good thing there is a lot of simmering - unattended so I could get housework done! I'll admit though, I was hoping for 12 jars..... another time, perhaps. I have another 20+ pounds waiting for me, what to do...

Saturday night we had a work night at the Rausch's. It involved husking, blanching and cutting from the cob 4 gunny sacs of corn! All to be frozen for eating throughout the next year. I gave up trying to remember just how many dozen ears this was.... I think 18-20 dozen...

It's all a labor of love! The reward is eating and enjoying it over the next months and knowing where it was grown, how it was grown, how it was handled... and not having to purchase it from the store!

Other exciting news, Kevin is getting a new truck!! A 2004 Nissan Titan, Smoky gray. He is very excited since the 89' Toyota (a.k.a. White Bird) has no AC in Idaho's 100+ degree summer weather.

No pictures this post - bummer, pictures are my favorite part!

Take Care.

No comments:

Post a Comment